-
Anyway, ideas about effective communications and how it is important to me has never crossed my mind until last Thursday where we talked about effective communication during the ES2007S class. I know that communication is essential because it gets your ideas through, be it important messages or just the daily gossips we share with our friends everyday. But there's actually more to it, from what I understand, communication could be enhanced or crippled. Enchanced communication would be what we learn as effective communication while the latter would be called a communication breakdown.
So after the class, it sets me pondering about how effective communication could be important to me. Effective communication, as the name suggests, happens when the message we intend to transmit is the same as what the receipient perceives. It takes care of various components such as the tone used, gestures, expresion, words used and etc. True enough, when a communication is effective, it really prevents unwanted misunderstandings. I believe that online communication is seldom effective because of the lack of the essential verbal cues but it makes it challenging all the more since we are all heavily involved and reliant on online tools, like the internet(e-mails,msn etc) and handphones(text messages).
For example, I have been managing an online store for a few months now and the customers I deal with are all complete strangers. They do not know me in person so effective communication is vital here because the wrong tone would suggest an offensive take to the message and I would have to spend time clearing doubts and misunderstandings.When it doesn't clear up, things could turn really nasty and we're talking about a reputation at stake. We all know how reputation can affect a business. To earn, I have to earn customers and through effective communications, it helps. Every customer would want to deal with a buyer who can communicate effectively with you. So I have to bear in mind the importance of effective communications.
There are all sorts of people in this world, we could only handle them with effective communication.
Wednesday, 25 August 2010
Effective Communications- Why is it important to me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You have a very clear explanation on what constitutes an effective communication, like the tone, gestures, facial expressions etc. I think what you mentioned about the type of communication we are mostly engaged in nowadays(emails, msn, text messages) is very true! The fact that these forms of communications usually do away with those non-verbal cues, more emphasis would hence be placed on the way we construct our sentences and many a times, what message gets across to the receiver really depends on each individual's unique experiences and interpretations.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that when you are equipped with effective communication skills, you will be able to win over customer's hearts and hence own a more successful business! (:
A nice written post. I like your example on how effective communication can prevent unnecessary conflicts.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, To work well with others, exchanges of ideas should be coherent and rational. This is especially essential in the business world so as to avoid any conflict among workers. If coworkers cannot communicate well with each other, tasks will not be completed smoothly and tension might result from inefficiency in getting work done.
Same sentiments! :)
I like the way you relate your own business with the importance of communication. It makes your points clear and easy to follow.
ReplyDeleteBesides, you can also talk more about how communication is key in a non-virtual world, where we have more connection with, the role it plays in a professional communication...
All in all, all the best for your business :)
*in reply to Annika's comment on gunandwallet.livejournal.com"
ReplyDelete"Hi Alicia,
I agree that non-verbal cues are a very important part of effective communication. I really think you have a good point about how online communication can be harder to make effective because it lacks the possibility of non-verbal cues. But I think there is an advantage in online (written) communication as well. Sometimes I find it easier to express myself in written words because I then have the time to choose the right words and formulate my sentences precisely.
Best regards,
Annika"
My reply: I agree with you on having an advantage to online (written) communication! Because not all of us could express ourselvess freely and correctly, online communication actually aid or encourage us to write about how we feel exactly.
Good point over there!^^
Thanks, Alicia, for the post!
ReplyDeleteFirst and foremost - you really don't have to move. The blogosphere is just one huge online social network and community, and it does not discriminate because of where one resides. Hence be it Blogger, Livejournal, or Wordpress (and the list foes on), as long as you are comfortable with where you are residing, that's all that matters.
Your personal experience of managing the online store is an interesting one, highlighting the importance of communicating effectively with people online in our computerized age. Although face-to-face communication is still the most powerful human interactions, one ought not ignore the power of the written word.
Good effort, Alicia. I look forward to your next post!